Dangers of Rodent Bait

Image of a dead rat next to bait.

There are several general classifications of rodent poison (rodenticide) available over the counter. The most common is one that prevents blood clotting called an anticoagulant; D- con being the most easily recognized in light of the recent bans on second generation anticoagulant rodenticides.

Anticoagulant rodenticides can come in many forms from liquid, to pellets, to blocks. They are made to be palatable, thus the increase in risk to pets. When they are ingested the active ingredient is absorbed and begins blocking Vitamin K. Vitamin K is not a vitamin in the traditional sense, instead it is a molecule used by the blood during the clotting process.

Poisoning Symptoms

Unfortunately, signs of sickness begin days after ingestion. Usually signs start with weakness, tiredness and then progress to coughing. Nearly 100% of cases of anticoagulant poisonings start with bleeding into the lungs.

Treatment for Poisonings

Treatment of these anticoagulant poisonings often lags behind the initial poisoning resulting in dramatically reduced survival rates. This is often because pets do not act sick after ingesting the poison and therefore owners either are unaware it happened or believe the pet will be fine.

Treatment of these poisonings depends on how soon the pet is brought in for treatment as well as the severity of that pet’s illness. The prognosis and survival rate is dependent on early recognition of signs and treatment.

If an owner is aware that their pet ate the poison, vomiting can be induced to remove as much of the poison as possible and the pet can be started on a Vitamin K supplement until all the poison leaves the body. This reduces the risk of bleeding and the pet has an excellent prognosis with appropriate monitoring.

If a pet is already suspected to be suffering from the signs of poisoning and is bleeding into its lungs or other tissues the treatment is very different. Diagnosis is usually through a blood test that determines how long it takes for the pet’s blood to clot – these times are longer in poisoned pets. Xrays can show how severe the bleeding is into the lungs as well, providing more information for prognosis. The pet is started on Vitamin K and will often need a plasma or whole blood transfusion. The transfusion is important not only to replenish blood volume but also provides the pet with the blood clotting factors the poison is blocking.

Prevention

As with most poisons, owner awareness is critical to saving the life of the pet. Knowing what poisons are on the property and ensuring that pets do not have access is the first step in prevention of poisonings. Then, making sure to check those poisons regularly so if it is ingested, early treatment can be started.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

7:30 am

6:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:30 am

6:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:30 am

6:00 pm

Thursday:

7:30 am

6:00 pm

Friday:

7:30 am

6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am

2:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Closed

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Friendly/knowledgeable staff & doctors, reasonable prices. I drive from west Nashville just to go see them! Worth it."
    Jenny Williams
  • "Been going here for years. Always compassionate and professional."
    Joan Polk
  • "Animal Care Center of Brentwood has provided compassionate, expert care for our cats for over 20 years. I highly recommend Dr. Sullivan and Dr. O'Neill!"
    Tambi Swiney
  • "Awesome Vets! Welcoming receptionists .Great care ."
    Tricia Jones
  • "I am very pleased with the veterinary care received from ACC of Brentwood. They are genuinely concerned about the well being of animals . Their staff is the Best"
    Nick Taras
  • "Amazing folks. They get to know you and your pet and treat you like family. I have never had a better vet!"
    Jackie Dryden
  • "Friendly and very caring staff. I feel confident in their care of our Golden Retriever."
    Cheryl Morris
  • "Great loving care for my sweet fur baby. Always greeted with kindness and smiles."
    Lynne Mullins
  • "We recently moved back to Nashville and sought out Animal Care Center and Dr. O’Neill. Our cat loves the team and we couldn’t be happier with the care. Two months into treatment and our cat is healing better then she had in a year with our previous vet. I couldn’t recommend Animal Care Center more."
    Kate Rogers